Somali Natural Resources Research Center (SONRREC) is a non-profit and independent research organization that was established in 2016 with the objective to manage, protect and shape the country’s natural resources in a sustainable manner by improving the economic well being and eradicate the poverty through evidence-based scientific research, capacity development and consultancy. The center was founded by a group of multi-disciplinary sciences with an overall objective of finding science-based solutions to development through actively participating and supporting achievements of the country’s vision and strategy on development as well as regional and global agenda in Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
SONRREC’s scientists and researchers believe that Somali’s Natural resources are at the foundation of fundamental economic opportunity and nation well-being. However, without scientific research on natural resources management and development, Somalia could not or has a long way to go to utilize its natural resources for economic growth, employment opportunity, and country’s well-being. SONRREC was founded to promote research development to respond to the lack of research on Somali’s natural resources and to mitigate the long-lasting problems to provide consultation services and effective research and training on the modern practice of natural resources for environmental sustainability and sustainable development. SONRREC was established to fill the gap in research on natural resources in the field of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, and Marine Resources, Water Resources, Energy, Petroleum and Minerals, Environment, and Resilience sectors in Somalia followed by the International standards and best practices.
SONRREC is a unique multi-disciplinary center of excellence in Somalia by delivering high-quality scientific research, capacity development, and consultancy in support of Somalia food security, sustainable development, and poverty reduction with the dedications to promote natural resources and environmental protection in order to empower and improve livelihood conditions of the poor pastoral, agro-pastoral and coastal communities in Somali through evidence-based solutions.
SONRREC focus on national challenges that must be addressed to reduce poverty, grow economies, and protect natural systems:
- Agriculture: Ensure the Somali’s Agriculture system for self-sufficient to everyone, reduce the poverty and drive economic growth and development
- Livestock: Improve the livestock system from tradition way to a modern system, eliminate poverty, improved food security, and increased opportunities in economic growth
- Fishery and Marine: Maximize production, productivity, and processing of the Fishery sector and secure the maritime for socio-economic development and well-being
- Water: Achieve a water-secure nation and reduce the national water risks through integrated sustainable water resource management to improve economic growth and reduce the poverty.
- Energy: Drive the scale-up of clean, affordable energy throughout the country to deliver sustainable socio-economic development
- Environment: Protect communities and natural ecosystems from damage caused by environmental challenges and generate opportunities for people to be environmental friendly society.
- Forest and Range: Alleviate poverty, conserve biodiversity, and mitigate climate change by reducing forest loss and restoring productivity to degraded, deforested lands.
- Petroleum and Minerals: Studies on how to use the country’s oil and gas resources while protecting and conserving the environment to contribute to early achievement of poverty eradication and create lasting value to society.
SONRREC has a strong partnership with all line Ministries on Natural Resources in Somalia as well as some international Research centers in the World.
- Development: conducting research of natural resources and dissemination the research findings to Somali communities and international partners by providing consultation, training, and guidance to a natural resource through scientific research
- Networking: Cooperate with international, national, regional, and local communities in the sustainable development of natural resources and its conservation strategies and establish partnerships and cooperate with other research organizations/centers and universities for joint research
- Contribution: To contribute to the growth of the economy sector through research, technology transfer, and utilization of natural resource innovations by enhancing the food security through research, innovation, and technology and create opportunities for young generations through the promotion of natural resources and maintaining the Somali ecosystems with peaceful environment.
Our Core of values