SONRREC is a leading research organization in the Horn Africa which was established in 2016 and it is the sole research center and the first of it’s kind that working in the field of nature resources. The center is registered in the Ministry of Interior Affairs of the Federal Government of Somalia with a board of Trustees, and a local and international membership since 2016.
SONRREC employs 10 full time staff including scientists, researchers, an economist, educators, communication and environmental specialists.
The primary objective of SONRREC is to improve the sustainable exploitation of Somali natural resources for socio-economics development to ensure that any exploitation of natural resources is equitable and environmentally sustainable through scientific research, capacity development and consultant services.
To achieve the above’ primary objective, SONNREC has the following specific objectives:
- To conduct study, research and assess the status of Somali natural resources;
- To identify buffer zones for natural resources conservation;
- To pursue scientific methods to assist official efforts for management and conservation of natural resources;
- To expand and disseminate scientific knowledge of sustainable natural resources and educate the public;
- To provide relevant training programs in natural resources, conservation and biodiversity;
- To blueprint and advocate a better local implementation of SDGs programs; and
- To promote partnership, cooperation between like-minded individuals and organizations in Somali natural resources.
SONRREC could achieves these objectives through connections, amongst others, with individuals as well as local, national, regional and international experts and institutions engaged in the process of sustainable natural resources management and development.